Covid-19 Health & Safety Measures on Land Adventures
Including vaccination requirements for all travelers, Trip Experience Leaders, and coach drivers
As of 5/16/22 at 9am EST
Learn about the Covid-19 Health & Safety Measures on our Small Ship Adventures here >>
The health and safety of our travelers is always our #1 priority, and we understand travelers are concerned about exploring the world in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. To ensure your safety and give you peace of mind, we have worked with our 36 regional offices and more than 2,500 regional associates and Trip Experience Leaders around the world, listened to government guidance, and reviewed feedback from our travelers to create the following health and safety requirements for all our Land Adventures. As we continue to make changes, we will keep this page updated with our latest information.
Prior to arrival in first destination on adventure
- Beginning with 4/1/22 departures, you must be fully vaccinated—including a Booster Shot—against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to your departure.
- Please bring your original COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card with you on your adventure. The card must display your name, type of vaccine, and the date(s) the vaccine and booster shot were administered.
- We suggest taking a picture of your card to keep for your records as a backup.
- If you are unable to provide proof of vaccination upon arrival at your destination, you will have to return home at your own expense.
- Purchase KN95 or N95 surgical face masks for the best protection as many airlines are NOT allowing cloth face masks.
- Your Trip Experience Leader will contact you approximately 3 weeks prior to departure to introduce himself or herself and provide you with specific information regarding updated safety and health measures and protocols you can expect on your adventure.
- Many airlines and airports have specific safety procedures they are following, so travelers are encouraged to check with their airline prior to their adventure and arrive at the airport early as these updated protocols will add more time to check in and security check points.
- Some adventures require an additional COVID-19 test, either prior to the adventure or during the adventure itself. Further information about your specific adventure will be provided 30 days before departure.
During your adventure
Face coverings & hand sanitizerWe recommend wearing face masks in all public areas.
N95 face masks (or the equivalent in the country) and hand sanitizer will be available to all travelers throughout the adventure, however travelers can bring their own preferred face covering and hand sanitizer from home.
NEW: Whispers headsetsWhispers will now be provided for all included features and activities to support social distancing—and remain with each traveler for the entire trip.
Whispers will be thoroughly sanitized before the trip begins.
Included features & activitiesTravelers will be broken into smaller groups as needed for Home-Hosted meals to support social distancing.
Our local regional offices have carefully selected included features and activities with a focus on the safety of our travelers, however all included features and activities are optional, so travelers can choose whether to participate in an activity or explore on their own.
Local transportation & coachesAll coach drivers will be fully vaccinated—including a Booster Shot—against COVID-19.
Face masks are required on coaches, regardless of local regulations
All coaches will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized with disinfectant before each use.
Accommodations & lodgingOur local regional offices have carefully selected your accommodations by city or town on our adventures because of their high standards for quality.
In some instances, we have changed accommodations or lodgings to better ensure the health and safety of our travelers. We will continue to make updates to our accommodations and lodgings as needed to ensure the highest quality of service and safety for our travelers.
Our local regional offices will contact each accommodation or lodging prior to our small group’s arrival to ensure enhanced safety and health protocols for cleaning and sanitization of rooms, public areas, and elevators have been properly followed.
Your Trip Experience Leader will contact you shortly after check in to ensure you are comfortable with the cleanliness and sanitization of your room.
The staff at all of our accommodations and lodgings will have 24/7 access to a doctor or medical staff, should medical assistance be needed.
Local restaurantsWhenever possible, meals in restaurants will be individually plated and served.
Buffet breakfasts will still be available and the dining staff will follow best health and hygiene practices to ensure food safety and prevent the spread of illness.
All adventures will feature smaller restaurants to support social distancing and whenever possible, our small group will be the only diners present during the meal.
Items usually shared, like bread and butter or salt and pepper, will be served to each person individually upon request.
Safety measures for Trip Experience LeadersAll local Trip Experience Leaders will be fully vaccinated—including a Booster Shot—against COVID-19.
Health screenings of Trip Experience Leaders, including a COVID-19 test, will be completed before joining the adventure
All Trip Experience Leaders will be trained on health and safety protocols to follow during the adventure.
Your Trip Experience Leader will be available to you 24/7, with the support of our local regional office.
Your Trip Experience Leader will be prepared to make adjustments to the itinerary as needed during the adventure.
Testing positive while on your adventureYou will be supported by an O.A.T. representative through the quarantine period with the option of rejoining the group or returning to the U.S.
If you have purchased our Travel Protection Plan for 2022 or 2023 departures, you will be covered for Covid-related costs. If you have not elected to purchase our coverage, we recommend purchasing alternate insurance which includes Covid coverage.
Requirements to re-enter the U.S.You are required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test, administered within 24 hours prior to returning to the U.S.
Your Trip Experience Leader will set up the required COVID-19 test. At this time, the cost of the test is within the range of $50-$200 USD per person to be paid on-site.
If you are staying on your own after the trip, your Trip Experience Leader can assist you in scheduling your test before returning to the U.S.
We will do all we can to ensure our travelers’ safety and health while on our adventures, but we need your help. We expect travelers to follow best health and hygiene practices to prevent the spread of illness as well—from washing your hands regularly, covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing, and following social distancing guidelines. By working together, we can create a safer travel experience for everyone.