Travel Forum

Our Travel Forum was created to provide you with the opportunity to connect with other travelers who share your passion for travel. Sign into "My Account" and you’ll be able to write reviews, share your travel experiences, and post questions for other travelers. Not yet registered? It’s simple to create an account, membership is free, and it only takes a moment to join. Once you do, you’ll be able to participate in the forum. If you have a specific customer service or quality assurance question, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814. We value the contributions of our travelers. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines for participation before you begin.

Author: womaine

GCT Trips Taken: 0
OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

Six trips to Alaska, visited and camped in all states except Arizona and New Mexico. Explored and camped in six Canadian provinces.

October 11, 2011

Where would I find info on medications banned in Tanzania or Rwanda?  I take a number of essential medications that are not optional, including narcotic pain medications. Without my medication the trip would be impossible.

Thanks for any information.

Author: suepoor1234

OAT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

All the states; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; eastern Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; India, China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina, Chile; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

Traveler Since: 2007

October 11, 2011

Womaine, go to the websites of the countries.  There will be info about traveling with prescription drugs.  Usually, it is that you have them in their original containers and, in the case of narcotics or other banned items, you have a letter on letterhead from the dr. listing the drugs, their dosages, why you are taking them, etc.  Same is true if a person has had radiation treatments within the last 3 or 4 months.  A letter from the hospital listing the reason for the treatments, the kind of radiation, and the dosages should be carried at all times.  The TSA gets really testy if the radiation detectors sounds.

Author: womaine

OAT Trips Taken: 0
Countries Visited:

Six trips to Alaska, visited and camped in all states except Arizona and New Mexico. Explored and camped in six Canadian provinces.

October 12, 2011

Thanks Sue, you always have such helpful answers.   Womaine/Susan

Author: suitcase

GCT Trips Taken: 1
OAT Trips Taken: 7
Countries Visited:

Have lived and traveled in Hawaii, Alaska, Japan and the Azores. Have also visited Hong Kong, Thailand, Germany, Holland, England, Scotland, Greece, Costa Rica. Panama, Guatemala, Belize, Peru, Tanzania and various places in Mexico and Canada. Have also done the Morocco Sahara Odyssey, Ultimate Africa, Namibia, Croatia and Slovenia.

Traveler Since: 2008

December 13, 2011

An email to the embassy via their website might give you what you want to know.  I did this once (don't remember for which country) re: tylenol w/codene and got a response fairly quickly.  Good luck.

Author: margaluiseanna

GCT Trips Taken: 5
OAT Trips Taken: 6
Traveler Since: 2000

January 01, 2012

Interesting re the radiation - I had 25 treatments mostly in September and went on a cruise and had no problem - while I boarded it in Florida, I flew back from Chile, that was in 2007.

Author: suepoor1234

OAT Trips Taken: 8
Countries Visited:

All the states; east and west Canada, all of Western Europe(except Iceland and Greenland); the Baltics and Scandanavia; Belarus, Poland, Ukraine; eastern Russia; Turkey, Jordan and Israel; India, China, Mongolia, and Tibet; Egypt, Morocco, Tanzania; Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala, El Salvador; Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Peru, Argentina, Chile; Australia and New Zealand; Antarctica.

Traveler Since: 2007

January 02, 2012

Go to www.cdc.gov  for contact information for each country if you cannot find the info on the individual country's website.  This paragraph is from the cdc site:

"Note: Some drugs available by prescription in the US are illegal in other countries. Check the US Department of State Consular Information SheetsExternal Web Site Icon for the country(s) you intend to visit or the embassy or consulate for that country(s). If your medication is not allowed in the country you will be visiting, ask your health-care provider to write a letter on office stationery stating the medication has been prescribed for you."

The cdc site also has the latest on vaccinations, health alerts, etc. for each of the countries.  Don't let the list of all the possible diseases and vaccinations scare you -- the charts and lists can be quite daunting at first.  However, a closer examination reveals that most of them don't apply to where OAT tourists go or the activities in which they are involved. 

Author: wtravlr1

OAT Trips Taken: 11
Countries Visited:

All of Europe, Most of Asia, Central America, South America. 6 Continents. Highlights include one RTW trip. Been to NordKapp to the Cape of Good Hope. Easter Island, and one trip on the old Orient express from Paris to Istanbul, and too much more to

Traveler Since: 2005

February 21, 2012

I know that this is not the recommended way, but I feel that I am fairly well traveled. Now with almost 80 countries, only the last few years with OAT.  I carry my meds in little plastic bags for them that you can get at the drug store, Tiny zip lock bags.  Count out the number of pills to cover the trip plus unexepected delays, then put the small bags into a quart zip lock container.  Have had narcotics (less than 15) and everything else including other schudled meds. I have not only never been stopped never been questioned. I know that  this is not recommeded, I think it might be good to take copies of the prescriptions with you, but I travel with a number of meds and just returned from HOI.  Never had a probelm yet.

Author: cygnet

OAT Trips Taken: 21
Traveler Since: 2009

February 21, 2012

This is not too relevant to the original query, but just an example of how you can never quite know everything.  We returned yesterday from Antarctica.  Leaving the Buenos Aires international airport, carry-on luggage is hand searched, often quite thoroughly, at the gate just before you board the flight back to the U.S., Miami in our case.  We had experienced this search on an earlier trip, and knew that water and other liquids over 3.2 ounces would be taken away, even if purchased after the main security scan.

Others told us that small bottles of hand sanitizer had been taken away in this search, as a "flammable liquid", so we had put ours in checked luggage.

I had a variety of meds with me, both prescription and non-prescription.  These were scrutinized in detail.  All were in labelled bottles except some psyllium fiber in capsules, which were in a small plastic bag.  The capsules were taken away from me.  

I had never read or heard anything about a problem with drugs leaving Argentina, and no one else I talked to had any taken away.  So, just a heads up.  

You cannot Post or Reply, please sign in

Rules of Use:
Be Relevant

Please stick to the topic of travel when posting in our Forum. Stay on the relevant topic and do not disrupt a discussion in progress. If you have a specific customer service question or issue, please contact our Traveler Support Team by calling 1-800-221-0814.

Be Respectful

Use of any inappropriate language, personal attacks, and hate speech are not permitted. Respect others’ opinions and suggestions.

Be Mindful of Privacy Issues

Please do not post the personal information of other members (full names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc).

Help us help you

Please click on the ‘Report Abuse’ button if you see an inappropriate posting.