What to Expect
- Physical requirements Only very physically fit and healthy travelers should explore India with OAT. It is not appropriate for travelers using wheelchairs or other mobility aids. You must be able to walk 2-3 miles unassisted each day and participate in 3-5 hours of daily physical activities, including scaling several steep steps without handrails. In some small villages, we must make do with Asian squat-style toilets. We reserve the right for our Trip Leaders to modify participation, or in some circumstances send travelers home if their limitations are impacting the group’s experience.
- Climate & terrain The hottest months are April-October, with temperatures reaching 90-100+ degrees. August and September are humid, with heavy rains. We’ll travel over some rugged paths, as well as bumpy, unpaved, dusty roads, both by bus and on foot.
- Pacing 7 locations in 16 days with 3 one-night stays and multiple pre-dawn departures. There are several long overland drives, including a 10- to 12-hour transfer with a train journey. We also have 2 internal flights of about 1.5 hours each.
- Transportation We travel via bus (no heat or toilet on board), train, rickshaw, and game-viewing vehicle. Our vehicles are locally made and are the best available in the region.
- Accommodations We spend one night in a comfortable but basic tented camp with private baths. All other accommodations are hotel-standard, with a variety of amenities, as well as private baths with Western-style toilet facilities.
- Group size & leadership 16 maximum with 1 Trip Leader.
U.S. citizens will need a visa (or visas) for this trip. In addition, there may be other entry requirements that also need to be met. For your convenience, we’ve included a quick reference list, organized by country:
- India: Visa required.
- Bhutan (optional pre-trip extension only): Visa required.
- Sri Lanka (optional extension): Visa required.
- Nepal (optional extension): Visa required.
Travelers who are booked on this adventure will be sent a complete Visa Packet— with instructions, applications, and a list of visa fees—approximately 100 days prior to their departure. (Because many countries limit the validity of their visa from the date it is issued, or have a specific time window for when you can apply, we do not recommend applying too early.)
If you are not a U.S. citizen, do not travel with a U.S. passport, or will be traveling independently before/after this trip, then your entry requirements may be different. Please check with the appropriate embassy or a visa servicing company. To contact our recommended visa servicing company, PVS International, call toll-free at 1-800-556-9990.
For a detailed and up-to-date list of vaccinations that are recommended for this trip, please visit the CDC’s “Traveler’s Health” website.