What to Expect
- Physical requirements This trip is only for very physically fit and healthy travelers. You must be able to walk 2-3 miles unassisted each day, exploring on foot and standing for up to a half hour at a time. You must also be comfortable participating in 4-6 hours of daily physical activities including walking along city streets and ancient ruins, and many of the monuments we visit will have uneven paths and walkways with no handrails. Boats require agility for boarding and disembarking. We’ll be traveling in remote areas, with no nearby medical facilities. In some small villages, we will use Asian-style toilets (squat-style rather than seats). We reserve the right for our Trip Leaders to modify participation, or in some circumstances, send travelers home if their limitations are impacting the group's experience.
- Climate & terrain The hottest months are March-May, with temperatures reaching over 90 degrees. The weather is quite humid during these months, with heavy rains likely.
- Pacing 9 locations in 18 days with 3 one-night stays; 7am departure on 4 days. There are several long overland drives and five 1-2 hour internal flights.
- Transportation We travel via air-conditioned minibus (no toilet on board) and junk (wooden sailboat).
- Accommodations We stay in locally run lodgings that are the best available in each area. The majority of our hotels do not have elevators. Rooms are smaller than you may be used to in the U.S. All of our accommodations feature private baths with hot showers and Western-style toilet facilities.
- Cuisine Our meals will be based on the local cuisine; Western food is very limited.
- Group size & leadership 16 maximum with 1 Trip Leader.
U.S. citizens will need a visa (or visas) for this trip. In addition, there may be other entry requirements that also need to be met. For your convenience, we’ve included a quick reference list, organized by country:
- Thailand: No visa required.
- Vietnam: Visa required.
- Laos (optional extension): Visa required.
- Cambodia (optional extension): Visa required.
Travelers who are booked on this adventure will be sent a complete Visa Packet— with instructions, applications, and a list of visa fees—approximately 100 days prior to their departure. (Because many countries limit the validity of their visa from the date it is issued, or have a specific time window for when you can apply, we do not recommend applying too early.)
If you are not a U.S. citizen, do not travel with a U.S. passport, or will be traveling independently before/after this trip, then your entry requirements may be different. Please check with the appropriate embassy or a visa servicing company. To contact our recommended visa servicing company, PVS International, call toll-free at 1-800-556-9990.
For a detailed and up-to-date list of vaccinations that are recommended for this trip, please visit the CDC’s “Traveler’s Health” website.